Civil Engineering/Physics / Enginerring

Question
I need to put a nylon coated braided steel cable in an exercise machine that can lift a maximum of 300 lbs. The tensile strength given by the manufacturer is 2,000 lbs per foot. The length of the cable is 16 feet.

Is this cable strong enough?
Does the length of cable matter in this case?
As the force the person is going to be pulling with is variable, what should be the safety factor?

Answer
Hi Nathan,

The length of the cable does not affect the tensile strength capacity- it just affects the strain (or extension under load). The tensile strength needs to be quoted in lbs per square inch or square foot, then you multiply that by the x-sectional area of the cable (using consistent units) to get the capacity. I would allow a factor of safety of between 1.5 to 2.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan