Civil Engineering/column eccentricity

Question
column
column  
A-O-A
how to calculate the eccentricity of the column supporting two beams as shown in attached photo?

Answer
Hi Suhail,

I am not sure what you mean by eccentricity in this situation, but if you want an estimate of the eccentricity of the resultant vertical axial load, this can be approximated by simple geometry- assume the shear load for each beam to act at the centreline of each beam, at the respective edge of the column. This assumes that the joint is simply supported.

If joint is not simply supported, then such a calculation is pointless as the beams will impose bi-axial moments depending on spans/loading of beams and height of column- so basically you do a 3-D analysis (or 2-D in both directions) and get the results.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan