Civil Engineering/Expansion joint in G+4 rcc building

Question
Dear Arshad Bhai,

Just few hours before I asked the question regarding expansion joint calculation.Also I want to know in the formula of
delta-m = 0.7x R x delta-s
what value shall i consider for delta-s i.e do I have to consider
point displacement of the floor or story drift(i.e. delta-roof -delta-3).Thanks.

Answer
Hi Musherib,

If your building is symmetrical, so that centres of mass and rigidity are close, then the point displacements will equal the story drift. However, if there is twisting of the building due to lateral loading, then point displacements will be +/- value of average story drifts. So, I suggest you study the displacements near the expansion joint carefully.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan