Civil Engineering/why1.4 A .B?

Question
dear Mr Esmailzadeh
seismic cods says which we should for time history analysis to compare average of response spectrum with standard spectrum.at 0.2T to 1.4T . my question is why 1.4T ?
regards
behzad

Answer
Dear Behzad

I am not in the current of development of the procedure but I can ask you what you suggests? You must compare the spectra around the period of the structure. But the calculation of T is not very exact and also the higher mode periods may be effective too. Then codes suggest you to do this comparison not at a specific period but in a range of period from 0.2 T ( for higher modes effect) to 1.4T ( for the errors of calculation being taken into account). 1.4 is a multiplier which give you an idea of the extreme credible amount of the first period of the structure. I hope this would be satisfying.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi