Civil Engineering/ETABS

Question
QUESTION: Dear Sir

In ETABS model to transfer loads from slabs to beams, slabs are to be meshed.You can select the particular slab and

1. edit -- mesh areas, this gives several options ( I think this is a manual method)

2. Assign ---- shell area ----area object mesh options-----area object auto mesh options

what are the difference between those two. in what instances , those options to be used.

regards
priyantha

ANSWER: Dear Priyantha

I don't recognize meaningful difference between these two method, unless the assignment of meshing in shell area makes a more exact and finer meshing inherent inside the element without showing it. In other word the nodes for output of result remain the same as previous but the model get more exact.

Regards
BEH

QUESTION: Dear Sir

In case area object auto mesh options , first option is "default" . Auto mesh at beams and walls if membrane no auto mesh if shell or plate. Can you elaborate on this. In case if we define slab as shell to transfer loads from slab to beam is it required to mesh the slab manually

Regards

priyantha

Answer
Dear Priyantha

Membrane details of interaction with related beams are not critical factors, then automeshing is allowed. But bending interaction of shells with surrounding beams may be very critical. Then your own details of connection between shells and beams must be followed not any random way which is default of the program.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi