Civil Engineering/Expansion joints

Question
Dear Khan

Iam executing a huge underground tank (sewage tank) are dimensions 72*60.5*6m and the thick of foundation is 1m and wall width 600mm all around foundation and the tanks divided to three partitions by two walls in mid of tank also width of these walls 600mm

My query is that sewage tank need for expansion joint and if neccessary need I afraid from the groundwatr leaking to do expansion joint with gap because of water level of this area 1.5m.
Pls could u advise ASAP.

My best regards.

Answer
Hi Mohammed,

As the tank is underground, I would recommend that you do not have any expansion joints as after construction the temperature differences will be minimal. During construction, however, you will need to en careful about early age cracking due to shrinkage, etc, so I would recommend that you detail some construction joints every 10-12m, with shrinkage gaps of between 1 to 1.2m, which would be cast say after 1-2 weeks after the walls either side have been cast.

The same precautions should be adopted for the roof slab.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan