Civil Engineering/P waves in vertical component?

Question
in the The vertical component of earthquake P waves is obvious than of other components . why ?
regards.
behzad.

Answer
Dear Behzad

It is because of boundary conditions. The boundary condition on the surface, implies the shear stress being zero while the motion in horizontal direction is allowed. Then what will happen? An S wave will be more obvious in lateral motion. In vertical direction you have sigma y = 0 and the motion in vertical direction is allowed . Then in vertical direction a longitudinal wave will be present more obvious than Shear waves.

Regrda
BEH  

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi