Civil Engineering/reinforced cement concrete

Why is it necessary to give clear cover to reinforcement in slabs and beams.
a. What if clear cover is given less or more than normally specified or no cover given at all.please answer

Dear Aamir

Two  main reasons exist for a cover being necessary :
1- to force the steel reinforcement to be pulled and show extreme tension stress when the bending member being loaded
2- to protect the steel rods against corrosion under moisture and chemical effects.
In the case where there is a loss of sufficient cover of the RC member you should provide it using chemical products like mortars and so on.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran