Civil Engineering/reinforced cement concrete

Question
Why is it necessary to give clear cover to reinforcement in slabs and beams.
a. What if clear cover is given less or more than normally specified or no cover given at all.please answer

Answer
Dear Aamir

Two  main reasons exist for a cover being necessary :
1- to force the steel reinforcement to be pulled and show extreme tension stress when the bending member being loaded
2- to protect the steel rods against corrosion under moisture and chemical effects.
In the case where there is a loss of sufficient cover of the RC member you should provide it using chemical products like mortars and so on.

Regards
BEH  

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi