Civil Engineering/Slope failure

Question
Slope
Slope  
QUESTION: This slope is by my house stuck me as odd because of the area that looks eroded. Is this the beginning of a slope failure?? What could be causing the erosion?

Landslide
Landslide  
ANSWER: Dear Susan

you need to check all around the land to see wether this is a local problem or a global matter. The clay deposits on a slopped hard rock underneath of the land may cause a Landslide. Take a look on the drawing I appended.  Can you trace a scheme of the situation of the land?

Regards
Babak

QUESTION: Wow, I will take a better look tomorrow. The erosion looks excessive from a just a broken sprinkler possibility right?

ANSWER: Dear Susan

Landslide or so called Erosion may have several cause and mode of occurrence. Your further information would be helpful.

Regards
BEH

QUESTION: Does the erosion in the photo look odd to you in general? It really stood out to me when I drove by it earlier.

Answer
Dear Susan

What I see , it is a local failure which may be innocent ( It depends on inherent slope of the bedrock underneath of the land)  but complementary Information of the lower part of the land may clear more details. Usually critical failures show themselves after  wet and rainy seasons but this is not a strict and absolute rule. Please don't be afraid and look up for more information and let me know.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi