Civil Engineering/Stirrups

QUESTION: Hello Sir,

We are in the process of preparing the RCC beams for stilt roof slab.
As per the drawing, the stirrup distance in the beams are spaced different at different places from the column positions.
For one such beams, six stirrups needed to be provided using 8 mm steel bar with 6 inches distance. But our bar binder by mistake has given 10 inches distance instead of 6 inches for the six number stirrups. I want to know if does it have any impact on the load bearing ? should I ask him to change the stirrup distance to six inches.

warm regards

ANSWER: Hi Nagaraj,

Yes, if the design required stirrups at 6 inches spacing then that is what should be provided otherwise the shear capacity of the beam may be compromised.

QUESTION: Thank you for your valuable inputs.

I have a follow up question and I would be really grateful to you if you provide your suggestions as I am more concerned about the safety of the building.

Now beams and the roof has been found and our bar binder tells that it is difficult to remove the hole structure to include these missing stirrups. Please suggest and alternative how to include these missing stirrups.

Let me know if you need the more information to suggest.

warm regards

Hi Sudarshan,

In that case you need to go back to the structural engineer who designed the beams as only he/she will know the loading and the shear forces so that he/she can check if the stirrups as built are sufficient. If they are not you can strengthen the beam by epoxy bonding/bolting steel plates to the sides of the beams, but that is a specialist operation.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan

I can answer any questions to do with civil and structural engineering consultancy and construction industry in East Africa and the Middle East, and specifically with the analysis and design of reinforced concrete structures. My particular expertise is in the aseismic design and optimisation of tall buildings.

Employment history: 40 years in Construction and consultancy in the UK, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Eritrea, South Africa, Somalia, Zambia, Austria, Bahrain, Kuwait, Doha and the U.A.E.

.Fellow of Institution of Structural Engineers (UK) .Fellow of Institution of Civil Engineers(UK) .Member of the Institution of Engineers, Kenya .Registered Engineer, ERB, Kenya .Member of the Architectural Association of Kenya (Engineers Chapter) .Chartered Engineer (UK)

•1984: International Conference on the Art and Practice of Structural Design, London •1994: 3rd Int. Kerensky Conference in Structural Engineering, Singapore •2008: International Conference on High-Rise Towers, Abu Dhabi •2013: IEK International Conference, Kisumu, Kenya

BSc, 1st Class Hons, in Building Engineering, University of Bath, UK MSc in Concrete Structures and Technology, University of London. Diploma of Imperial College, UK.

•Science Congress Special Award (for 2-seater Hovercraft - 1968) •Institution of Civil Engineers Award for outstanding performance at Bath University (1975) •Concrete Society Postgraduate study Bursary Award (1976) •Consular Representative for British High Commission, Nairobi. (1995 to 1998) •Examiner for Institution of Civil Engineers Professional Interviews, Nairobi. (1997 to 1998) •Branch Representative in Vienna for PI assessment for Inst. of Struct. Engrs. (1999 to 2010)