Civil Engineering/Water tank top slab crack width

Question
Sir,
Do we really need to design for crack width for top slab of an expose water tank? I mean ACI 224 says there is no relation between crack widths and the corrosion of reinforcement. Even if we need to design for crack widths for bottom reinforcement what should be the limit. Is it 0.1mm? Not too stringent? What about axial forces in slabs due to temperature, that would also be designed for crack width?

Answer
Hi Waseem,

The soffit of a roof to water tank is the worst one as far as exposure goes- dampness + oxygen, so yes that needs 0.1 or maximum 0.2mm crack width, including temperature strains. However, I have explained in my last answer how to mitigate against that.

The top surface of the roof slab can be treated like a normal structure.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan