Civil Engineering/Bearing Wall System

Question
QUESTION: I have a building having shear walls and columns with flat slab and perimeter beams. So what system will I consider for this? Can we take it as a Building Frame System (R = 5.5) or Bearing Wall System (R = 4.5) as per UBC 97?

ANSWER: Dear Ghulam

I would choose the building frame system with R=5.5. Your basic system is not a bearing wall system.

Regards
BEH

QUESTION: That is what I thought and I designed it like this. Today I went to Dubai Municipality and there the engineer says that you do not have beams so you do not have frame that is why you cannot take frame system.
How can I explain this to him?

Answer
Dear Mustafa

Bearing wall has its characteristics. You have a frame with flat slabs here and no  bearing walls. The gravitational loads is supported by the slab frame system not a bearing wall. This is not related to the slab system. The slabs play the role of beams.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi