Civil Engineering/building condition

Hello Sir,

I am planning to buy a an apartment which is in the second floor. Building is about 2 years old and has totally four floors. Before buying I would like to know what are some of the visual inspection that I can do to ensure building is structurally in good condition. Need your advice

thank you in advance,

Dear Mamatha

There is no real way to inspect visually a hidden structure. But you can trying to check wether the roof is vibrating under actual live load . You can check it by walking or even running on the roof. You can check wether the masonry walls have cracks ( diagonally or other types) to see if there is a good foundation under the building. But all these are subjects to negotiate not to reject because they are not accurate way to test the building . All these are better to be performed by an engineer.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran