Civil Engineering/mud mixed with RCC

Question
QUESTION: Hello Dear BEH,

Just a curious question.

To easily identify the electrical PVC pipes after the roof centering is removed, in some place mud has been put on the roof beam re-bars.  I was just wondering if the steel comes in contact with the mud, is there any chances of corrosion at the point where steel comes in contact with mud.

warm regards
Sudarshan

ANSWER: Dear Sudarshan

Corosion may occur but it is not expected to be serious.

Regards
BEH

QUESTION: Hello Sir,

Just curious to know. If some part of the re bar is corroded due to above reason or exposure to the adverse environmental factor, will this corrosion spread to the other areas where it is not exposed to these adverse condition ?

warm regards
Sudarshan

ANSWER: Dear Sudarshan

A corrosion in a part of steel make it vulnerable to further corrosion. I guess that sometimes a cathodic corrosion may occur due to difference in electro chemical potential of the corroded part and other places.

Regards
BEH

QUESTION: Thanks for the answers.

Specifically for the steel beneath the soil for the footing, if it comes in contact with the soil, does any soil causes the corrosion or any particular property in the soil make the steel corrode. Can we test the soil and assess whether it can cause the corrosion ?

thanks
Sudarshan

Answer
Dear Sudarshan

The only cover for bars in Rc is the concrete. The cover for fondation  buried in soil is considered thicker than Rc in atmospher ( 2 times). All these are for preventing corrosion due to water or humidity or chemical hazards. You can perform chemical tests on the soil to get confident but the weakness in your structure persists.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi