Civil Engineering/Orthogonal effect

I have a building in which all columns are either in the x-direction or the y-direction i.e no column is inclined in plan. So in this case do I have to consider the orthogonal effect or not? If yes then how to consider it?

Dear Mustafa

What orthogonality? For seismic effect? In Dubai you don't need to do so. But  if you mean to consider moments in 2 directions the you need to analyze the structure in both direction according to load distribution of slabs and then you will have columns with axial force + Mx + My  which is automatically designed by Etabs.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran