Civil Engineering/shear force on the top and bottom surface of the beam

can you please help me know how can we conclude that shear force on the top and bottom surface of the beam is absent when beam is under nonuniform bending.

Dear Saumil

No shear is present on top and bottom of a bending element unless in the case of composite beams. I refer you to get more deeply on vQ/It  formula for shear stress which imply that no shear is present on extreme surface of the beams. I guess your question must be more detailed than this. Please let me know your any doubt would be still flashing.

You must know that Q is area moment of the cut section about neutral axis which is equal to zero on the top and the bottom.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran