Civil Engineering/Weight of 22 storey building

QUESTION: "dear sir, i am a fresher and i am currently working on a project in etabs. The load tranferred at the foundation is around 1700 kilo newton.(22 storey residential building. 2bhk flats) for me this is just number. only you could say whether they make sense. i am not asking whether they are accurate. thank you in advance."

ANSWER: Hi Panner,

You have not given sufficient info to judge, but if 1700 kN is total for all building it seems far too low. If it is just for one column, it may be OK but depends on whether this is just DL or just LL, or what? And what is the type of floor/beams/spacing of columns, etc, etc?

On average the DL+LL for an RC building should be between 15 and 20 kN/m2 per floor.

QUESTION: dear sir,
thank you for the reply
1700kn is the load for one column. it is for the combination of both dead and live loads and wind load. some columns transfer 2500kn.

Hi Panner,

As I said before, you have not given me sufficient information- whether the load is high or low depends on the tributary area of slabs that are carried by the column. Based on the answer I gave you earlier, you should be able to figure that out yourself now.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan

I can answer any questions to do with civil and structural engineering consultancy and construction industry in East Africa and the Middle East, and specifically with the analysis and design of reinforced concrete structures. My particular expertise is in the aseismic design and optimisation of tall buildings.

Employment history: 40 years in Construction and consultancy in the UK, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Eritrea, South Africa, Somalia, Zambia, Austria, Bahrain, Kuwait, Doha and the U.A.E.

.Fellow of Institution of Structural Engineers (UK) .Fellow of Institution of Civil Engineers(UK) .Member of the Institution of Engineers, Kenya .Registered Engineer, ERB, Kenya .Member of the Architectural Association of Kenya (Engineers Chapter) .Chartered Engineer (UK)

•1984: International Conference on the Art and Practice of Structural Design, London •1994: 3rd Int. Kerensky Conference in Structural Engineering, Singapore •2008: International Conference on High-Rise Towers, Abu Dhabi •2013: IEK International Conference, Kisumu, Kenya

BSc, 1st Class Hons, in Building Engineering, University of Bath, UK MSc in Concrete Structures and Technology, University of London. Diploma of Imperial College, UK.

•Science Congress Special Award (for 2-seater Hovercraft - 1968) •Institution of Civil Engineers Award for outstanding performance at Bath University (1975) •Concrete Society Postgraduate study Bursary Award (1976) •Consular Representative for British High Commission, Nairobi. (1995 to 1998) •Examiner for Institution of Civil Engineers Professional Interviews, Nairobi. (1997 to 1998) •Branch Representative in Vienna for PI assessment for Inst. of Struct. Engrs. (1999 to 2010)