Civil Engineering/Base shear

QUESTION: Hello Sir, I trust you are well. Please if you are familiar with etabs, please how do I calculate the sum of base shear that can be resisted by columns and shears walls in a model.
Thank you

ANSWER: Dear Samuel

There is no such a feature in etabs. But you can apply step by step shear on a model an let Etabs perform design control calculations aand where all columns get overstressed you have an estimate of total shear.

Please let me know wether you are satisfied or not.

QUESTION: Please, I beg you, can you please help me with a step by step procedure to do that. I will be much grateful.

Dear Samuel

You have your model with definite size and sections for the structure. Aply a lateral force (say 10000 N) on top of the structure on center of stiffness. after analysis you have to check the section in design part of the Etabs. You will see that no problem exist and probably all aections are green. You have to increase the load and repeat this procedure again and again until you realize that a meaningful part of your structure is showing red and you can accept that you cant apply greater load. You can find a margin for the maximum shear loading in this way. Keep in mind that the base maximum shear depends on your style of design and may differ from design to design.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran