Civil Engineering/counterfort retaining walls

1- When I can say the I really need to have counterforts for my retaining walls ?
2- Are there any references, codes that could provide design requirement for the counterforts (intervals, reinforcement, what kind of internal forces they could experience,... )

Dear Mohammad

1- This is an economical-technical compromise to decide about using counterforts or not.
2- counterforts can treated like moment resisting columns in a direction and supposed a slab in other based on the geometrical shape and dimensions. No special provision I know for counterforts.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran