Civil Engineering/steel beam

figure 1
figure 1  

figure 2
figure 2  
Hello Eng.Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

in British code ( for steel )  it is Mentioned  that if we want to find the resistance moment (MR ) for welded asymmetric steel I-section , we can neglect the web according to  theory (a) .
So in this case can we find Sx (plastic section modulus) where that we  determine the  plastic axis with ignoring the web ( as figure 1) ??
or we have to find Sx (plastic section modulus) where that we  determine the  plastic axis with consider the web ( as figure 2) ??

note: figures 1&2 in attachments

Dear Ammar

The first figure seems not to be correct because the web material is not arranged to alter the neutral axis so much. For the case of plastic design it is better to neglect the web because a plastic behavior of the web need great rotations which cant be reached actually.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran