Civil Engineering/Basic Courses

Question
Hi
I'm a sophomore with a civil engineering major and I have been wondering since the beginning of the year about a little problem:
I've taken statics, and now I'm taking dynamics and mechanics of materials. In the books we have there are just way too many chapters and titles, filled with concepts, names, equations and so on. What I was wondering is, to be a successful professional civil engineer, am I required to know EVERY single one of these concepts? And I'm talking about things like names of different types of beams, all sorts of advanced equations and all those types of basic to really detailed and advanced ideas. Our curriculums don't include everything in the books and that kind of confuses me. Of course if I ask a professor he'll say: "yes, you have to know everything" but, in reality, do I?

Answer
Dear Osama

You need to learn everything your faculty and professors have planned for you to learn. This is very essential for you to choose your very way in future. If you dont know the concepts you will be tied by your misunderstanding and not by your knowledge. Be brave and do your best.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi