Civil Engineering/placing the beam on the column

Question
beam column
beam column  
QUESTION: Hello,

Hope you are doing fine. Thanks a lot for all your previous answers.

I just wanted to know what is the best way to place a beam steel frame work on the column ? Please have a look at the attachment. I have a 6 x 24 inches column on which i need to place the 9 inches x 24 inches ( depth) beam and it has 3 rebars at the top and three at the bottom. I appreciate if you give me some drawings

warm regards
Sudarshan

ANSWER: Dear Sudarshan

The drawing you sent seems not to be correct as a beam - column connection. would you precise it please?

REgards
BEH

QUESTION: Hi,

It is simply supported beam on two columns. Column size is 6 inches depth and 24 inches width.

Beam size is 9 inches depth and 24 inches width. Just wanted to know how the rods in the beam should be positioned in the column structure for better efficiency.

warm regards
Sudarshan

ANSWER: Dear Sudarshan

In my opinion if you dont have a seismic problem in your area , you dont need to extend the beam bars into the column . But I suggest to let a set of  dowel with 90 degree hook be introduced from column to beam.

Regards
BEH

QUESTION: Hi,

You mean the top and bottom bars need not be get locked in to the column road ? just curious how will the beam get support without resting on the column ?

This beam also has a multiple layer reinforcement from bottom typlically in feet from the column.

warm regards
Sudarshan

Answer
Dear Sudarshan

For gravity loads the beam lay on top of column and the introduction of beam bars into the column has no effect on vertical stability of the system. The beam stays on the column like you are staying on the floor , on the ground. However, don't forget to introduce the column bars inside the beams.

REgards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi