Civil Engineering/Query- Career in project management

I am a civil engineering graduate, and have 1 and a half year experience in traffic engineering after my bachelors. After this I have done Masters in Building Engineering and Management (Project/Construction Management) from School of Planning and Architecture Delhi, India. I am very much concerned about my future as Project Management in Construction industry is still not very much prevalent in India, I don't know about other countries. That is the reason sometimes I feel, that I have made a wrong choice and feel depressed.

Basically I don't want to work on site, because according to my knowledge the ethics on site are the poorest compared to any other industry. I am more interested to work in the corporate sector and that was the thought I had before taking admission in Post graduation.

Q-1) What are the prospects and growth I can expect in my field(Project Management in Construction) ?

Q-2) What is the scope in other countries for me, say europe, canada, australia, gulf?

Q-3) Suggest me some career keeping my background in mind in which I can stay away from site work also if necessary I can opt for any additional diploma or degree programme via distance mode or part time only.

Q-4) I am an analytical person and generally good with softwares or numbers/calculation related things and not very good at making people work or coordinating with people. I am a kind of introvert person.

So, considering aforementioned things, please guide me what should I do. I think project finance & risk management is a good field which will help me utilising my potential/skills but don't know much about it also don't know whether my qualifications are right for the field?

Please guide me, it is being depressing.

Dear Talha

1,2  I think project management is a daily progressed discipline and you can assess your time and hope to be rewarded in a rational period, everywhere .

3- I suggest you to follow project control field and working with Ms project and primavera software. It will give you good idea to follow your field of ineterst.

4- Project management needs a good human interrelation and huge knowledge in engineering . If you have them your chance to be successful will increase.

I suggest you to pass the BMBOK program to prove your  eligibility to be active in this field.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran