Civil Engineering/Rebar size changes

Question
sir,

I designed a structural column say ex. 10nos- of 28mm deformed bar, but the contractor informed me that no available size of 28mm at this time on the market. is it ok to redesign again the nos. of my rebar and sizes into smaller size of rebar say 25mm & increase the nos. of it. without affecting the area of my steel in that section?

thank you.

Answer
Dear Ryan

You can change and modify the arrangement and number of bars provided that you keep the reinforcement area equal or greater than the initial one. Some little details may be needed like you may need to add stirrups to confine the bars from buckling. You can send me your initial design and the modified one to help me to help you better.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi