Civil Engineering/Rebar size changes

I designed a structural column say ex. 10nos- of 28mm deformed bar, but the contractor informed me that no available size of 28mm at this time on the market. is it ok to redesign again the nos. of my rebar and sizes into smaller size of rebar say 25mm & increase the nos. of it. without affecting the area of my steel in that section?

thank you.

Dear Ryan

You can change and modify the arrangement and number of bars provided that you keep the reinforcement area equal or greater than the initial one. Some little details may be needed like you may need to add stirrups to confine the bars from buckling. You can send me your initial design and the modified one to help me to help you better.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran