Civil Engineering/surge tank

Question
QUESTION: I am designing a cylindrical steel surge tank of diameter 2.5m and height 14m from the ground.Below 14m (ground) the steel portion of tank is inserted in to a concrete cylinder of height 2.9m.can i design the concrete portion like a chimney as done in book of N krishnan Raju? No doubt we should consider weight of water for checking the bearing capacity, but do we need to take in account the weight of water for the RCC design of foundation? can we design the circular foundation similar to a square foundation for a column of a building?
THANKING YOU
nIRANJAN

ANSWER: Hi Niranjan,

I do not know about the book you are referring to, but the walls of the concrete section should be designed with hoop rebar and vertical rebar. As for the foundation, this depend son the soil conditions and the structure of the steel tank bottom. If this is simply a circular plate sitting directly on top of the concrete foundation then the load will be more or less UDL and you can design the foundation like a pad footing, except that for any lateral loading (wind, seismic)the distribution of pressure under the circular footing will be different from that of a square.

surge tank
surge tank  
QUESTION: Dear sir,
Thanks
I have attached here the elevation of the surge tank.The steel is inserted in to the concrete wall. Hope some more suggestion for the foundation design.

ANSWER: Hi Niranjan,

That looks fine- just design the foundation for normal bending/shear forces after getting the analysis results. Put some extra hoop rebar in the walls near the end of the steel tank, to resist extra bursting forces from vertical reaction of the steel tank.

QUESTION: Thanku sir,

I find out radial and circumference moments and design the foundation for flexure taking refrence from the foundation design of chimney. But I could not find the formula for finding out the shear force.  Could you please help me out.

Answer
Hi Niranjan,

Just work out the vertical reaction per metre from the ground pressure adjacent to the wall  and calculate the shear capacity of the foundation- probably it will be within capacity of the concrete and you will not need any extra shear links.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan