Civil Engineering/ETABS seismic load bottom story

Question
If we set ground level as a bottom story in etabs for lateral forces then lateral forces will not enter in the floors below grade,why not considering it from the base level.Because i think in any seismic activity the soil will also displace and will induce some lateral force in our lateral force resisting system.kindly correct me with refrence if i am wrong.

Answer
Hi Asad,

Usually the GFL is taken as bottom story because if there are basements surrounded by soil, the passive resistance of the soil counteracts any lateral load from earthquakes, and also you do not wish to consider the mass of the basements in the equations that distribute seismic load up the tower.

As for deformation/drifts, these will still be imposed on the floors below GFL, whether or not you specify the GFL as the bottom story.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan