Civil Engineering/FLAT AND SOLID SLAB

Question
Hello Mr  Arshad Khan
I hope u r fine , nice day for you and thanx you very much .

when i studied etabs i found :
- In the case of the solid slab choose the membrane of the slab .
- In the case of flat slab choose the plate or shell.
and I found that the option membrane in solid slab  matches  manual analysis of the beams actually .

first : please correct if I have any mistake in what i wrote above .
My  question is : If we have a flat slab with surrounding  beams and some of the interior beams , in this case what do we consider it?  flat or solid - that means plate or membrane  ? becouse I have found a big difference between the two cases  in the reactions of the columns & In the analysis of the beams .

Answer
Hi Hassan,

If you do not have downstand (stiffer) beams to support the slab, then that must be analysed as a flat slab, with sufficient widths for the the column strips and middle strips as per guidelines in codes.

In this case you must assign the slab as Shell, not membrane.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan