Civil Engineering/raft slab with downward raft beams

Question
Dear Sir,
Good Day
I would like to know whether it is possible to make a raft footing slab  with the downward raft beams.Is any problem occurs with the soil interaction.In one of my designs I need to make raft beams a drop of 20 to 30 cm below my raft slab.Thanks for your valuable advice .Regards.

Answer
Hi Ravi,

So long as the soil is not weakened or disturbed by the excavation for the beams, it should make no difference.

However, by having stiffer beams within a raft, it stop behaving like an inverted flat slab and more like a slab spanning between beams. So you analysis and design may well be different from a pure raft.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan