Civil Engineering/anchoring

Dear BEH,

According to you how important is the anchoring of longitudinal beam re bar in to the column i.e bending the bar 90 degree to lap with the outer column bar ?  Why it is done ?

does it compromise the structural connectivity if not done. In my region, some engineers do and some do not. What do you suggest.

warm regards

Dear Sudarshan

As I stated before they are to strict column to girder connection and it is important in seismic regions. you may analyze the system to be integrated and well designed without a girder to column connection. For middle columns it is usually not critical but may be for side columns it would provide bigger positive moment in side girders. You must check your system for worse situation.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran