Civil Engineering/anchoring

Question
Dear BEH,

According to you how important is the anchoring of longitudinal beam re bar in to the column i.e bending the bar 90 degree to lap with the outer column bar ?  Why it is done ?

does it compromise the structural connectivity if not done. In my region, some engineers do and some do not. What do you suggest.

warm regards
Sudarshan

Answer
Dear Sudarshan

As I stated before they are to strict column to girder connection and it is important in seismic regions. you may analyze the system to be integrated and well designed without a girder to column connection. For middle columns it is usually not critical but may be for side columns it would provide bigger positive moment in side girders. You must check your system for worse situation.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi