Civil Engineering/Depth/Width ratio

Question
Dear Sir,
Your prompt answer is always a great help for me.
Is there any restriction or limitation on Depth/Width ratio of beam. And whether this ratio is dependant on span Length.

Answer
Hi Mohammad,

Yes, there are limits which are related to span as well. For example a very short span deep beam which is narrow needs to be designed as a deep beam with special detailing rules.

The slenderness limits also depend on whether you have a slab restraining lateral instability for the compression flange. So an upstand beam will need to be less slender than a downstand beam for the same span and loading.

Refer to clause 3.4.1.6 of BS 8110, where all the slenderness limits are clearly stated.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan