Civil Engineering/expansion joint in etabs

Dear Sir,
Good Day:
I have a G+3 (74 m X 27m) I have provided an expansion joint in the middle.While doing modelling in etabs How can I provide expansion joint.(1)Can I model as seperate structures with the gap of 2cm ?
Also(2) Can I avoid the expansion joint in my raft foundation and slabs (since the water table is just 80 cm below the natural GL)and dewatering is required.
(3)Can I avoid expansion joint in raft foundation and considering expansion joint in the upper floors? Is it practical?
Thanks & Regards,

Hi Ravi,

1. Yes, you can model as separate structures with a gap. If the building is completely symmetrical in both directions then you can run RSA, otherwise just stick with static EQ combos.

2. Yes, you can avoid joint in raft and GFL slab too. This is assuming that the foundation is good and building is symmetrical so that differential settlement is not an issue.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan

I can answer any questions to do with civil and structural engineering consultancy and construction industry in East Africa and the Middle East, and specifically with the analysis and design of reinforced concrete structures. My particular expertise is in the aseismic design and optimisation of tall buildings.

Employment history: 40 years in Construction and consultancy in the UK, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Eritrea, South Africa, Somalia, Zambia, Austria, Bahrain, Kuwait, Doha and the U.A.E.

.Fellow of Institution of Structural Engineers (UK) .Fellow of Institution of Civil Engineers(UK) .Member of the Institution of Engineers, Kenya .Registered Engineer, ERB, Kenya .Member of the Architectural Association of Kenya (Engineers Chapter) .Chartered Engineer (UK)

•1984: International Conference on the Art and Practice of Structural Design, London •1994: 3rd Int. Kerensky Conference in Structural Engineering, Singapore •2008: International Conference on High-Rise Towers, Abu Dhabi •2013: IEK International Conference, Kisumu, Kenya

BSc, 1st Class Hons, in Building Engineering, University of Bath, UK MSc in Concrete Structures and Technology, University of London. Diploma of Imperial College, UK.

•Science Congress Special Award (for 2-seater Hovercraft - 1968) •Institution of Civil Engineers Award for outstanding performance at Bath University (1975) •Concrete Society Postgraduate study Bursary Award (1976) •Consular Representative for British High Commission, Nairobi. (1995 to 1998) •Examiner for Institution of Civil Engineers Professional Interviews, Nairobi. (1997 to 1998) •Branch Representative in Vienna for PI assessment for Inst. of Struct. Engrs. (1999 to 2010)