Civil Engineering/over - reinforced beam

Question
specifications
specifications  
QUESTION: Hi Dear BEH,

Just wanted to understand about the over-reinforced beam. What are the characteristics of it ? Is there an easy method to find out that the RCC beam is over re-inforced by looking at the specifications like re bars used, concrete grade etc ?

I have attached the picture of a beam specifications for a 24 feet simply supported beam. Can you glace it and let me know does it come under over re-in-forced category.

If I am asking some questions beyond the scope of this forum, please excuse me. I hope you help me in understanding.

warm regards
Sudarshan

ANSWER: Dear Sudarshan

Over reinforcement depends on girder effective height and strength and amount of reinforcement and cant be qualified visually. But your detail doesnt seem to be a over reinforcement case because you have compression reinforcement where you have a concentration of tensile reinforcement.

regards
BEH

specifications
specifications  
QUESTION: Hi BEH,

I am very happy about your quick and crisp reply as usual.

The main reason I asked you this question is because, I read in some article that over re-inforced beam will not give any warning before it fails. So, in this case i don't need to worry about such situation. is that right ? Please educate me if I am wrong in understanding this situation.

I have attached a better picture of the specification again in case you had trouble in viewing it last time.

warm regards
Sudarshan

Answer
Dear Sudarshan

You are right and exact. The over reinforcement make a situation for the member to fail due to compression concrete crash and thus a brittle an abrupt failure which has to be prevented. I think your girder doesnt have such a problem because you have compression reinforcement which decreases the amount of tensile reinforcement leading to over reinforcement .

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi