Civil Engineering/SAP modelling

Question
Hello sir!
I have modeled a 8 storey RCC building with basement walls and shear(in lift)walls.
However i am not sure of the support condition in basement walls. Since the drift pattern below and above the ground differs(the soil would not allow the basement wall to drift freely as the upper floors do in case of earthquake loads), do I need to idealize any supporting conditions around the basement wall(like spring or something)
Also i have an open well stair case with a lift in the well. Since I have not modeled the staircase i.e. I have not put any slab in place of stairs and applied the loads manually to the beams. The lift wall has only connection at top and bottom(and not at every floor level)
How can i rectify these two problems?

Answer
Hi Rohit,

1. For the basements, it is good enough to model the walls and slabs and just place supports at the base (bottom). The much stiffer basement will not drift much from lateral loading, so you do not need to model any other lateral supports for most normal cases.

2. The way you have modelled the stair well is correct as the diaphragm is punctured/interupped at these locations. Just ensure that you assign the correct DL and LL to the stairs landing beams from the stairs flights. Any mid-height landing reactions can be applied to the main floor level too.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan