Civil Engineering/Torsional Capacity of Channels

Question
QUESTION: Dear Sir,

I have a c lipped channel. I request you to kindly guide me how to calculate the torsional capacity of this type of section so that I can check whether applied torsion is within safe limits.

ANSWER: Hi Muzaffer,

This depends on various factors, including the distance between lateral/torsional supports. Please refer to the formulae here:

http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Torsion/Torsion.html

QUESTION: Dear sir
I tried to understand the use of the formulas there but couldn't understand.
The c channel will be fixed as a cantilever of span 1 m and the torsion is due to point moment applied on this channel.. I would be extremely thankful for your kind guidence. I just want to calculate the allowable torsion on this channel.

Answer
Hi Muzaffer,

OK, try this one- it has better guidelines. As it says, you need to know the section properties, which are usually listed in books or manufacturers brochures.

http://www.engineeringexcelspreadsheets.com/2012/12/c-channel-bending-stress-and

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan