Civil Engineering/Buried Aeration Tank Floor Slab

Question
I am designing a 60x20x5m aeration tank. The tank is buried and sits on bedrock. The ultimate moment at mid span is around 2500kNm when assuming the slab is supported at each end by the wall which is far too large.
My question is whether...

My assumption that the beam is supported at the ends is incorrect and that the slab is infact supported throughout its span by the bedrock(compacted shale). Therefor the moment throughout the slab is just the moment that is present in the toe of the wall due to overturning  which is 450kNm which is then much more acceptable.

Or is the moment in the slab just due to the force created by the weight of the wall over the length of the span?

Your help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks"

Answer
Hi Sean,

Assuming that there is no uplift pressure on the floor slab (due to external groundwater, when tank is empty), then yes you can assume no moments in the slab span and just cater for the localised moments due to wall base forces.

If you have uplift (which can result in flotation!), then you will have higher negative moments and will need to find some other solutions (thicker slab or anchors into the rock at regular intervals).

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan