Civil Engineering/Torsion in beams

Question
Helloo engineer. Kindly, what happens when a designer feels it would be appropriate to design for some equilibrium torsion in beams?...should the moment be reduced and how?..thank you

Answer
Hi Morris,

I presume you are talking about a secondary beam spanning on to a main beam, which you wish to give some torsional resistance? You can either design for the full torsion, hence without moment reduction for secondary beam, or assume 15-20% re-distribution of moments from support to span for the secondary beam, and then design for the reduced torsion in the main beam.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan