Civil Engineering/Base Isolation and Viscous Damper

Question
QUESTION: Dear Sir,

Good Day. If i would to insert base isolation and viscous damper in ETABS, what "Link Type" should i choose for Base Isolation and Viscous Damper? There are several like rubber isolator, friction isolator, etc...

Best Regards,
JV

ANSWER: Dear JV

What sort of base isolation you need to use?

Regards
BEH

QUESTION: Dear Sir,

Lead Rubber Base Isolation

JV

ANSWER: Dear JV

You sould use isolator1 for the rubber and use a plastic link to model the lead elastoplastic behaviour. Then you should use one isolator and one plastic link. ( I dont believe the lead has a significant influence on isolator beahavior regarding the mass of building).  For viscous damper you can use every link and define the damping and nullify the other characteristics.

Regards
Beh

Base Isolation
Base Isolation  
QUESTION: Dear Sir,

Thank you! Btw, is the position of base isolation correctly installed? (Refer to Image attachment)

By the way, did sir has any base isolation and viscous damper modeling in ETABS? as for my references purposes. Thanks once again.

Regards
JV

Answer
Dear JV

Base Isolation is installed on the base under the first storey columns. Dampers are installed on a bracing system or on the base of shear wall or on the beam to column connection. I didnt see damper on the co;umn because it will interfere with the main role of the column which is to carry vertical and gravity loads.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi