Civil Engineering/Design of structures

How to design a beam having the same thickness or depth of slab

Dear Kalutarage

You should consider a section with a width equal to column width + 8 times of slab thickness in each side or 0.25 times beam span ( the minimum quantity) . Then for a column of 40 x 40 and a slab of 30 cm of thickness and 6 meter long  you can design a section of about ( 40 + 8 x 30 + 8 x 30 ) = 520 cm or 600* 0.25 = 150cm. Then thge beam width is equal to 150 cm. for sides beams you should use 6 times of slab thickness and 1/12 of beam length.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran