Civil Engineering/elastic or cracked deflections?

Question
Good day Engineer,

Kindly clarify this doubt
My Uni taught me elastic design theory is applicable for serviceability limit state particularly to calculate deflections while plastic theory for ultimate limit states . Then why do we find out cracked deflections by modifying stiffness modification factors in ETABS. I believe modifying stiffness factors it means we are doing cracked section analysis for deflections.

BR

Answer
Hi Shahgul,

The plastic theory applies mainly to steel as concrete is essentially brittle, so cracks if subjected to much tension.

Reinforced concrete is partially plastic (or ductile) due to the rebar strain and with proper ductility detailing can sustain quite a bit of deformation (albeit cracked) before failing.

So, to answer you question, yes for deflections the section is considered cracked on the tension face.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan