Civil Engineering/Forklift on industrial concrete flooring

Dear Sir,

Thank you for having this website for us to have the opportunity to ask question to expert like you.
I am Chris from Singapore and I am confuse if my 5 ton forklift (with load) if it is able to be operating in a 15KN/m2 load limit flooring. My forklift outer dimension (fork not included) is 2.7m x 1.2m; wheelbase is 1.7m (axel to axel) x 1.2m (outer tyre width). I am currently looking for a factory space that is able to let my forklift operate in it. Thank you for you time Sir.

Hi Christopher,

Based on the figures you have given me, the average load under the forklift footprint is around 25 KN/m2, and the actual pressure under each wheel will be much higher. Therefore, a floor slab with a limit of 15 kN/m2 will not be adequate.

You probably need a floor of at least 250 to 300mm thickness cast on a well compacted hardcore sub-base of around 300 to 400mm thickness. Of course if the original ground is hard (like soft rock, or rock), then the slab may be cast directly on top, with a nominal 75mm screed.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan

I can answer any questions to do with civil and structural engineering consultancy and construction industry in East Africa and the Middle East, and specifically with the analysis and design of reinforced concrete structures. My particular expertise is in the aseismic design and optimisation of tall buildings.

Employment history: 40 years in Construction and consultancy in the UK, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Eritrea, South Africa, Somalia, Zambia, Austria, Bahrain, Kuwait, Doha and the U.A.E.

.Fellow of Institution of Structural Engineers (UK) .Fellow of Institution of Civil Engineers(UK) .Member of the Institution of Engineers, Kenya .Registered Engineer, ERB, Kenya .Member of the Architectural Association of Kenya (Engineers Chapter) .Chartered Engineer (UK)

•1984: International Conference on the Art and Practice of Structural Design, London •1994: 3rd Int. Kerensky Conference in Structural Engineering, Singapore •2008: International Conference on High-Rise Towers, Abu Dhabi •2013: IEK International Conference, Kisumu, Kenya

BSc, 1st Class Hons, in Building Engineering, University of Bath, UK MSc in Concrete Structures and Technology, University of London. Diploma of Imperial College, UK.

•Science Congress Special Award (for 2-seater Hovercraft - 1968) •Institution of Civil Engineers Award for outstanding performance at Bath University (1975) •Concrete Society Postgraduate study Bursary Award (1976) •Consular Representative for British High Commission, Nairobi. (1995 to 1998) •Examiner for Institution of Civil Engineers Professional Interviews, Nairobi. (1997 to 1998) •Branch Representative in Vienna for PI assessment for Inst. of Struct. Engrs. (1999 to 2010)