Civil Engineering/safety factors

Question
QUESTION: sir,
explain difference between safety factor for overturning, safety factor for slip , safety factor for uplift in foundations?

ANSWER: Dear Arsalan

Safety factors are designed to maiantain the good behavior of materials  and mechanisms within an appropriate limits then safety factors are different for various fields.

Regards
Beh

QUESTION: difference between uplift and overturning?

Answer
Dear Arsalan

uplift is the tension force under foundation. You have to calculate the uplift safety factor using : compressive forces/tension forces.

Overturning is the moment acting on the total building forcing it to tilt down: resisting moment calculated round the corner of the building/ active moment forcing the building to tilt( they are normally wind , earathquake or earth pressure ,...type)

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi