Civil Engineering/shear in beams

Dear Sir

In particular beam section which is subjected to sagging moment has top steel 2T12(226 mm2) and bottom steel 2T20(628 mm2).
I require to design this section for shear. When we determine ultimate shear stress that can be resisted by the concrete (Vc) we need amount of percentage of tensile r/f.  Is it 226mm2 or 628mm2  ?

Dear Priyantha

You should realize which one of the bars( T or B) is related to the actual bending moment of the beam. For example in the middle of the beam the bottom bars are  effective but you should look for all the combination alterning the situation.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran