Civil Engineering/Engineering Terms

QUESTION: What is the difference between this equation used by the NSCP from the standard IBC equations?
Is V measured in kips?
V =  Z I C W / Rw
Z=seismic zone factor
I= Occupancy importance
C= base shear coefficient
W=total dead load
S=site coefficient
Rw= moment resisting frame

ANSWER: Dear Franco

Please write me back the IBC relationship. The difference is basically On method of design, working stress ( in this relationship) and ultimate design ( I guess IBC follow this one). Then usually you see a factor 1.4 to 1.6 difference between them.

The units is dependent of unit of W in both codes.

QUESTION: IBC standard equation for base shear:

V = Cs W
W = effective seismic weight
Cs = Seismic response coefficient

Cs= Sds/(R*Ie)
R= response modification factor
Ie= importance factor

for T<=Tl (period and long transitional period)

see page 166

Dear Franco

As I stated in my last letter , The difference is in R and Rw factor. In IBC you have smaller R which lead to ultimate design forces but in the some codes they use Rw which is bigger in quantity and lead to allowable stress design. The difference between R and Rw is almost  the factor of safety say 1.5 to 2

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran