Civil Engineering/ETABS analysis log warning

Question
Cnstr error
Cnstr error  
QUESTION: Hi M. Khan,

I am modeling a 8 stories RCC building with a steel roof in ETABS.

As the building got a couple of steel joists at the roof, I draw a deck (floor) to replace these joists in the model.

Now please see attached the error that I get when I run the analysis.

I looked at the location on the model and there's pretty much nothing there (close to a beam but that's it). It's not a joint location either.

Do you know where the error comes from and how to solve it?

Thank you,

Best regards,

ANSWER: Hi Frederik,

It's difficult to say without looking at the model, but 6.9 digits loss of accuracy is not very significant. However, you could try and resolve it by exporting the model to text (.e2k) and then importing back into ETABS- that may sort it out. Then do a  final check on base reactions against input loading.

Cnstr error
Cnstr error  
QUESTION: Thanks for the answer,

Now I am stuck with over many digits loss...which I guess is now significant.

I tried to export and then import but nothing really new.

Would you have a couple of other actions to try?

Thanks,

Answer
Hi Frederik,

Yes, please follow the advice in the error messages- seems like you have some connection problems or mechanism. If the model runs for just static analysis, look at the deformed shape for dead load, scale it up and animate it- you may see which member/element is deforming too much, so that you can fix that.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan