Civil Engineering/Waterproofing of Raft

Question
I am having a raft of 2.6 M thick for a tower of 30 storeys. what system of waterproofing would be effective and why? also, how can one check later (say after 1year)whether the waterproofing is intact or water has ingressed in the structure?

Answer
Hi Sushil,

Normally there is no need to waterproof a raft, just like there is no need to waterproof a pad foundation, unless the top of the raft is below ground- in other words you have a basement.

In the latter case you can use proprietary waterproofing systems such as external tanking, or integral additives in concrete. In case of a basement you can check from internal inspection how well the waterproofing has been performing.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan