Civil Engineering/Anchoring steel column on finished roof top

Dear Sir,
I want to construct a steel shed (100ft x 24ft)with a span of 24ft on a roof of a 3 storied RCC building. The column rebar are cut down at roof level. Can you suggest me any method about anchoring the steel column on that roof which can give strong wind resistance.
with best regards

Hi Barek,

Assuming that the roof-top beams and columns can support the extra loading, you can anchor the steel columns by using expansion bolts through the columns base plate into pre-drilled holes in the top of the columns or beams. I would not recommend fixing the columns onto the roof slab as most probably it will not have sufficient punching shear capacity for high point loads.

If the steel structure has lateral bracing and/or is designed as a portal frame with pinned supports the base anchorage becomes simpler as it does not need to resist moments- only axial load and horizontal shear.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan

I can answer any questions to do with civil and structural engineering consultancy and construction industry in East Africa and the Middle East, and specifically with the analysis and design of reinforced concrete structures. My particular expertise is in the aseismic design and optimisation of tall buildings.

Employment history: 40 years in Construction and consultancy in the UK, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Eritrea, South Africa, Somalia, Zambia, Austria, Bahrain, Kuwait, Doha and the U.A.E.

.Fellow of Institution of Structural Engineers (UK) .Fellow of Institution of Civil Engineers(UK) .Member of the Institution of Engineers, Kenya .Registered Engineer, ERB, Kenya .Member of the Architectural Association of Kenya (Engineers Chapter) .Chartered Engineer (UK)

•1984: International Conference on the Art and Practice of Structural Design, London •1994: 3rd Int. Kerensky Conference in Structural Engineering, Singapore •2008: International Conference on High-Rise Towers, Abu Dhabi •2013: IEK International Conference, Kisumu, Kenya

BSc, 1st Class Hons, in Building Engineering, University of Bath, UK MSc in Concrete Structures and Technology, University of London. Diploma of Imperial College, UK.

•Science Congress Special Award (for 2-seater Hovercraft - 1968) •Institution of Civil Engineers Award for outstanding performance at Bath University (1975) •Concrete Society Postgraduate study Bursary Award (1976) •Consular Representative for British High Commission, Nairobi. (1995 to 1998) •Examiner for Institution of Civil Engineers Professional Interviews, Nairobi. (1997 to 1998) •Branch Representative in Vienna for PI assessment for Inst. of Struct. Engrs. (1999 to 2010)