Civil Engineering/Diaphragms

Question
Good Morning sir
Could you please explain about the use of diaphragm in ETABS. What will happen if we do not assign it for analysis of building?

Thanking you!

Answer
Dear Niranjan

RC slabs are stiff slabs which constrain the joints of  each story in structure to move together. Then this is a structural must that you model your slabs in each story so that the integrity of the structure in each level be kept within a margin. A diafragm in etabs or sap make a simple method to model your structure behaviour in each level. If you dont do that the latel loads will be absorbed by side elements of the structure i.e the closest elements to the loading points. You may test this notion very easily, by comparing the results of two models with lateral loading , one with diaphragm and the other without it.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi