Civil Engineering/ETABS columns analysis

Columns analysis concern
Columns analysis conce  
Hi Mr. Esmailzadeh Hakimi,

I am modeling a 8 stories building in ETABS and I'm having some concerns about the columns design/analysis.

When I run the design and then right click on a column to see the design report, it says in the flexural details that my combo 1,4D (Dead load) makes a 148 kN.m design moment and about 2600 kN axial force. When I click on the interaction button, ETABS shows that the combo location point is exterior to the interaction curve and indeed does not pass the design.

However, when I click on "Display Frame/Pier/Spandrel/Link forces" and put M3 for the combo 1,4D, it shows 0 kN*m as moment for the same column at the same story than the one I looked at the design.

Please see attached image.

Do you now what causes this?

Thank you,

Dear Feredrick

I encounter similar problems in etabs and sap which is supposed to be related to bugs. I suggest to  remove the loadings , save , exit and and re enter to etabs and redefine the loadings. I ususally get to my response , doing so.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran