Civil Engineering/Lap length issue due to kicker

Question
Sir,
I have a Retaining wall whose Reinforcement is fixed on site. the vertical starter bars as per the drawing should have a lap length of 1000 mm with the Main bars , but the drawing does not include the kicker of 150 mm between the base and the stem of the wall. that means there is a shortage of lap length of 150 mm. The lap length now is 850 mm instead of recommended 1000 mm in the drawing. Kindly support me By justifying that this 850 mm lap length would be sufficient by relevant detailing codes or any other standards. Please note that Bar dia = 20 mm , Recommended lap length = 50 times d = 1000 mm

Answer
Hi Gul,

So long as there is no bundled rebar and you are using Type 2 (ribbed) rebar, you could justify reducing the lap length to 40 x diameter? You can also carry out a detailed analysis to confirm that this length of anchorage is sufficient.

If there is any problem, you could always supplement the anchorage by some spot welds?

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan