Civil Engineering/Shearwall modefier

Question
QUESTION: Dear Sir,

I would like to get an advice with regard on proper placing the reinforcement on a certain
element (ei walls, and slab).
Some details for example a slab,generally we design the slab in out of plane so the short span reinforcement
should be inside the long span reinforcement to have greater effective depth,am I right pls correct otherwise.

For wall we design in in-plane so bars at long span should be outside to have greater effective depth.

Thanks in advance

ANSWER: Dear Rari

Usually this is not effective more than 2- 3 % but your idea is very good and I appreciate it. But I can get what can I do and give you as a response to help you. I suppose you gave yoursrlf your needed response.

Regards
BEH

QUESTION: Dear Sir,

I'm design a shearwall/corewall and assign a stiffness modifier for
it's a craked section coz modulus of rupture = 0.33 sqrt of fc' < tensile stress
thus m11=m22=m12 = 0.1 and f22= 0.35 please correct me otherwise.

But problem when I assign 0.1 =m11=m22=m12 since this is the bending stiffness i got problem with the shear capacity/ demand ratio, if I will make it m11=m22=m12 =0.35 capacity/ demand ratio is OK.

Please advice me.

Answer
Dear Rari

You should have several files , each one to resolve a categuory of problem. Then for your case you should check the sensitivity and design of your structure by changing the parameters. Then you might have 2 design files and not just one.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi