Civil Engineering/Shearwall modefier

I would like to get an advice with regard on proper placing the reinforcement on a certain
element (ei walls, and slab).
Some details for example a slab,generally we design the slab in out of plane so the short span reinforcement
should be inside the long span reinforcement to have greater effective depth,am I right pls correct otherwise.

For wall we design in in-plane so bars at long span should be outside to have greater effective depth.

Thanks in advance

ANSWER: Dear Rari

Usually this is not effective more than 2- 3 % but your idea is very good and I appreciate it. But I can get what can I do and give you as a response to help you. I suppose you gave yoursrlf your needed response.

I'm design a shearwall/corewall and assign a stiffness modifier for
it's a craked section coz modulus of rupture = 0.33 sqrt of fc' < tensile stress
thus m11=m22=m12 = 0.1 and f22= 0.35 please correct me otherwise.

But problem when I assign 0.1 =m11=m22=m12 since this is the bending stiffness i got problem with the shear capacity/ demand ratio, if I will make it m11=m22=m12 =0.35 capacity/ demand ratio is OK.

Please advice me.

Dear Rari

You should have several files , each one to resolve a categuory of problem. Then for your case you should check the sensitivity and design of your structure by changing the parameters. Then you might have 2 design files and not just one.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran